A good optician is certainly one who can detect what is wrong with a person’s eyes. Whether or not he/she requires simple eye drops, glasses or maybe even surgery is something only a good optician can decide after a proper and thorough eye examination. Most eye doctors carry out basic tests in order to arrive at the problem at hand.
When visiting an optometrist, a patient can always tell whether or not the doctor is a good one. There are certain procedures every optician carries out in order to ensure the systematic approach toward eye care. Some of these procedures include:
- Asking/checking whether or not the patient has ever worn glasses. If you go to only one optician, he is likely to know this.
- He must check to see whether or not you are a candidate for glasses and/or lenses. There are some people who are not able to wear glasses or their eyes are not as weak as they usually are when glasses are prescribed. It is the job of the optician to figure this out.
- Every good optician without making any decision takes an eye test. This involves the patient reading alphabets varying in size, set at a distance. The patient is required to do this with his/her naked eye. The result is deciphered from the way in which the letters are read out.
- Discussing with the patient what discomfort he/she is facing
- A good optician always carries out basic tests which help him in deciding what exactly the problem is. Sometimes the eyes are just stressed out and need to be relaxed. For this the doctor might suggest eye exercises to be carried out. At other times, the problem can be bad for which the doctor needs to know exactly what is wrong.
Any good eye doctor ensures that he discusses the result of the eye test and examination with the patient. He would provide you with needs to be done and will probably recommend to you certain medications if glasses are not required. Try and see an optician whom you are comfortable with and who treats you well.
There are many people in the world’s population who suffer from eye problems. Most people get affected by eye problems because of carelessness however there are certainly some problems which are inherited and may be part of a person’s genetic makeup. Neither of these is a good sign which is why regular checkups with an optician are recommended to people, particularly young children and the elderly.